photo taken from this site
Now think back to my Crepe Dress project. . . Nothing coming to you? Could be because I haven’t mentioned it since the middle of December of last year. Maybe this link will help jog your memory. Just so you don’t think the whole project went up in smoke, I wanted to post about it now.
I was one happy person when I had all the necessary fabric, notions, and the pattern. But my optimism slowly waned after my second muslin. I was following along with Gertie’s sew-along and so I made my first muslin, tried it on, tucked and pin some areas, and transferred these changes to the pattern. After which, I made a second muslin to see if my alterations were correct. When I tried it on it appeared to me that nothing changed. The problems from the first muslin were still evident and new ones appeared. “Good grief!” I said.
I was disheartened to be sure. So I laid my Crepe Dress aside to begin working on last minute Christmas gifts and start finishing up my Acorns sweater. I felt defeated, to say the least.
Since then my perspective has changed. I think back now and say, “That was my first time making alterations like that! It isn’t going to be easy.” I won’t be pulling out this project soon (because I am working on a pair of satin pajamas), but I will. I have all the necessary information on Gertie’s blog, I just need to commit to it and brave the rough parts. So many sew-alongs have taken place–or happening right now–that I am learning a ton from just by lurking. Sew-alongs like Casey’s Swing Dress, Tasia’s Pendrell Blouse, and Cupcake Goddess’ Burda Trousers. These blogs are answering so many of my fitting, underlining, finishing, etc. questions. Thank you ladies!