Long time, no post. Oh, don’t be misled into thinking that I have nothing to post about. On the contrary, I have a multitude of projects to upload to the blog but I can’t seem to find time. I’ve looked high and low, too! This is a real shame because my sister Catherine, my blog’s photographer, has all the necessary photos ready and waiting.
So the first project I am bringing is a quilted recipe binder cover
(whew, say that 3 x fast), I did for my step mom, Annemarie. Now, I could have gone, got her binder, write down a few measurements, and come up with a terrific pattern, but I chickened out and typed “quilted binder cover” into Google. 😀 The instructions I found from the Moda Bake Shop looked superb so I went with it. I am sure glad I did because they gave me some “inside information” which probably couldn’t penetrate my noggin unless it was written down in black and white. Such as, I should have the background fabric 3″ wider and longer than the binder because it will shrink when quilted. Genius, huh?
I followed the project instructions closely and was real happy with the way it was presented and executed; it was done in a recipe format, you see. See my other blog to learn why recipes are the way to go!
And this is what I made:
The background fabric is actually a scrap from an old dress and I machine quilted around the dogwood blossoms. I haven’t done much machine quilting before so this was a great practice piece!
In the photo below you can see some fun stitching I did to see what my darning foot can do. I made long swerving lines of stitches to mimic leaves and right on top of these swerving lines, I made a line of tiny flower blossoms.
And we most not forget the bright and vibrant patchwork!
And I was a good quilter and did my binding stitches by hand. 0:)
Final shots of the binder for those who love to see the whole picture.
Like most little projects, this one was fun to do. I made it in about two days and it was a nice vacation from crocheting!